Re: [IPk] Pump and sensor symposium

>On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, you wrote:>
>>A recent study from Yale compared a group of adolescents on Mult. Daily
>>Injections to a group on CSII.

CSII (continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion) = pump therapy, by the way :-)

>Hi Pete
>Wow, now that is good news indeed.
>I couldn't access the abstract, but from what you posted it all sounds good.
>How many patients were involved in the study?

Di -

I've not been able to look at the website either as I have no web access at
the moment - I can only use email (I'm making international phone calls at
hotel inflated rates - so strictly no surfing!) But it sounds very similar
to an article published in Diabetes Care, Nov 1999. In that paper it was 50
adolescents on MDI compared with 25 on pumps.

There was a proviso: it was the patients themselves who chose to be on pump
or MDI. It is not unreasonable to suppose that intelligent kids are more
likely to be interested in pumps, and precisely these sort of kids are more
likely to do better whatever treatment they are on. It is sort of borne out
by the fact that the pump-choosers already had a lower HbA1c (8.4) than the
MDIers (8.8) at the very beginning.

The trials currently underway at Harrogate and Bournemouth, as part of a
wider international trial run by Disetronic, overcome these problems by
making everyone use a pump for a period, and MDI for another period.

mailto:email @ redacted