Re: [IPk] re: more nighttime basal problems

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, you wrote:
>Di wrote:
>The pattern seems to be this:
>11pm BG 5.5
>1-4am BG 4
>8am BG 11
>My dawn syndrome (I thought) starts at about 9am, but maybe thi shas changed
>and it's actualyl starting a lot earlier?
>That's what it looks like to me, especially if you're doing tests around
>3am/4am and everything is fine.

Well, around 4 is a little low for my liking - that's an average - it
varies between 3.5 and 4.5.

it's funny, I can never figure out what to do until I write it all down (in
a frustrated "what am I doing wrong" question,  and as I'm in the process of
doing that, I usually see a solution!

 Why not try increasing for the dawn
>phenomenon around 3 or 4 am and see what happens?  After all, if it
doesn't  >work, you can just change the pump back! >

Yes, I think I'll try it. I've tried all sorts of other weird variations.
I'm always loath to start adding extra basal rates in, because it then
starts getting really complicated and I don't know what's causing what any
This is so weird. I used to have completely opposite basal rates - more in
the night than day, and more at dawn than at any other time.

>I've been doing a lot of 3am tests recently, to deal with protein in late
>meals sometimes, and to deal with high morning BGs a lot of the time.  I've
>certainly discovered that I have a very strong dawn phenomenon, and I can't
>wait to get on to my pump to deal with it.  It's a frustrating situation,
>however, because I find if my BG is around 5 or lower at 3am, the dawn
>phenomenon does nothing to raise my BGs, and I have to eat!

That's a pain - it only works when you're already high and don't want it to!
A lot of Dm is like that - completely perverse :-)