Re: [IPk] hypo unawareness

>I think it was Gianfranco who told me :-)

Oh well, there you go, another source of evidence :-)

>Diabetes Clinical Management by Tatersall and Gale quotes an astonishing
>figure that on any given night, 20% of all people with diabetes will go
>hypo. Not the same people evey night. And usually they will sleep straight
>through it. That's the beauty of the pump - you can tweak your overnight
>insulin to give you exactly the insulin you need, with more predictable

I am still figuring this one out....
I think my overnight basals need reducing, but I can't work out when.
The night before last, I woke at 5.30 am with a very low Bg (too low to
test till I felt better!).
last night, I woke at 1am with a BG of 2.5.
The problem is, I can't set my alarm and test throughout the night, because
my Bg does different things when I'm asleep and awake, and I don't go back
to sleep for hours if I wake up in the night. So the readings are all wrong.
I'm hoping they just need reducing by 0.1 throughout the whole night.

It's weird - for months I needed more insulin at night than during the day,
then for a couple  of months it was the same, and now I seem to need more
during the day. The joys of being able to deal with that!

I realised something else as I was lying awake after my hypo - the amount
of adrenalin released means I can never go back to sleep once I've had a
hypo in the night, however tired I am. Very frustrating!

 Incidentally, my doc was telling me
yesterday that many doctors still refuse to believe that the dawn syndrome
exists at all! I was amazed at that - I thought  by now it wsa pretty well

>I was very interested to note that Prof Stephanie Amiel, when questioned at
>the JDF conference after her talk on hypo unawareness, had not heard of the
>lying down theory: that being in a lying position (eg in bed) can switch
>off a set of hypo symptoms. Given that the brain's glucose sensor is
>located near its balance control centre, there is possibly more room for

yes, I was surprised that she just fobbed it off as being due to the fact
that we're asleep. I'm very interested in the connection between balance
and glucose levels/awareness. Partly because I'm a dancer, and if my Bg
gets even a bit low or  high, I start falling over!