Re: [IPk] Re: Burden's Response

In message <l03130309b4f2a77ca649@[]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
>>Now that the battle for free pen needles is won
Is it?  I thought it was, and got a prescription on 3rd March, but the
pharmacy in my village refused to dispense it.  Since I'd been running
stocks down, I had only enough needles for a day or so.  The local
pharmacy didn't sell my kind.  Neither, I found in the course of the
following few days, did Boots in Milton Keynes, Stoney Stratford, or
Woking, nor Lloyds in Hall Green, or Tescos in Sandhurst or Aldershot.
In desperation, I rang NHS direct, but they only keep lists of open
pharmacies, not lists of which pharmacy keeps stock.  I was about to go
to my local hospital casualty, when I remembered I tuck needles into the
pockets of a suit-case ... and yes, had enough for the two days my local
pharmacy needed to order them in.  Local pharmacy charged 14.50,
whereas I usually get them mail-order for 10 (which is probably why no
pharmacy stocks them).

Two of the many pharmacies I visited or rang explained that the BDA had
advised people that needles were on prescription, when they are not, and
as a result, they had sold (expensive) emergency needles.

Best wishes to all,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)