No Subject

[]) by bzs.org (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id MAA24804 for
<email @ redacted>; Mon, 6 Mar 2000 12:47:58 -0800
From: "simon.duckworth" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IPk] Dusseldorf protocols
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 21:46:59 +0100
Sender: email @ redacted

. It is not necessarily about getting people to be near
>hypo to achieve good hba1c. I believe anything under 6% does not show
>any more improvement that achieving 7%.
Show improvement in what sense? Of course not show improvement in the
long-term avoidance of complications, because that won't be able to be
demonstrated for some time, and I don't suppose the comparative effect of 6
versus 7% in that respect is worth researching at present, even if you could
find a population for such a study. But I wonder if that observation will
stand the test of time, as pump therapy, hopefully automated in the near
future with the BG sensors which are being developed, is more widely used
and lower hba1c values become the norm..

The reality is that "normal" BG is "near hypo" for an insulin-dependent
diabetic. Nevertheless, consistent values in that range are required to
achieve good hba1c. The value of the pump is that, with thoughtful
management, it is the best tool available to avoid slipping into the hypo
range, which I have personally found, with stress, to have the most
disruptive effect on BG control, beyond exercise, diet and infection.