RE: [IPk] Dusseldorf protocols

Joan Everett is the best person to discuss this as she has compared both
Dusseldorf education programme for management of diabetes patients and
the Gouda (Holland) approach. She has developed an integrated programme
which has been on trial here in Bournemouth for 6 months - so far
feedback from attendants has been excellent. There will be a poster on
this at the BDA. I get the impression this approach they are going to
try at Kings is part of a more structured trial to compare methods of
education. It is more about telling patients how the body works, what
are the important aspects of care for diabetes patients and how to
adjust their insulin according to meals, BGL, activity/stress etc. It is
fairly intensive. It is not necessarily about getting people to be near
hypo to achieve good hba1c. I believe anything under 6% does not show
any more improvement that achieving 7%.