Re: [IPk] Bolus timings

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Kennedy <email @ redacted>
To: Insulin Pumpers <email @ redacted>
Sent: Saturday, 04 March, 2000 21:29
Subject: [IPk] Bolus timings

> Greetings,
> I've been "pumping" for about a month. At times I experience low bgs
(2.5 -
> 3.5mmol) 40 to 50 minutes after meals. This is happening more often than
> like. I was wondering if others have this problem, and if so does anyone
> inject half way through / after a meal, or do square wave boluses as
> routine? I'm using Actrapid.
> Paul Kennedy
Hi Paul,
I also use Actrapid and have always, given myself split doses with a pump
(for almost 20 years). I  find it a lot more sensible, for many reasons,
such as I do not always eat what I planned to, food is digested over a
period of time thus (I think) it is more sensible to give the insulin over a
period of time and it reduces the chances of what you are coming across from
happening. I have never given insulin half an hour before a meal as some
consultants have told me to (since the days of soluble). Whether what I do
is correct or not I will not say, but it suits me. I'm not sure what you
mean by 'square wave boluses' but the answer to your question is yes.