Re: [IPk] Re: eyes

At 01-03-00 15:06 +0000, you wrote:
>Do you have more info on this, Jeremy? What exactly are you referring to
>by fots?
>Leaking blood? Leaking fluid? Fatty deposits? New blood vessels? Laser scars?
>As far as I am aware:
>In the early stages of retinopathy (background), the blood vessels leak,
>and this can
>damage the retina, as well as clouding the vision due to macular oedema.
>But they don't
>normally leak over the centre of the eye, because there aren't any blood
>vessels there.
>In later stages, (proliferative retinopathy), new blood vessels grow
>nearer the cetre of
>the eye (due to a lack of oxygen getting to the retina).  These in
>themselves do not get
>zapped with the laser, but pieces of the edge of the retina are destroyed
>to increase the
>proprtion of oxygen getting to the retina.
>Both types of laser treatment (as well as the problematic blood
>vessels)  can cause loss
>of sight, and if they zap in the wrong place (e.g. if you move when they
>are zapping
>you) it can also damage your sight, but dots in the middle of the eye???
Hi Di,
In an attempt to explain I quote from a book about diabetes, and can
include a photo example from a book the BDA produced (many) years ago. Are
you able to download JPG format files? If not I could send the photo to
John and (assuming willingness) he could put it up on the website.
I note that when I had my last DECS appointment, recently there appeared to
me a huge blood vessel going right through the middle of the retina, I was
concerned and asked about it, to be told that she would be worried if it
was not there and in a diagram in the book I quote from the blood vessels
appear to go right up to the centre, but I cannot disagree with you because
I only know what I have read or been told.
"The major concern, though, is damage to the blood vessels of the retina,
the back part of the eye." "The capillaries tend to develop outpouchings or
blisters. Blood can also leak from damaged capillaries. If blood
accumulates over important areas for vision or seeps into the part known as
the vitreous chamber vision may be lost or impaired."
It also goes onto the creation of new vessels (by passes), specifying how
fragile these are and as such a source for further damage.
In the BDA booklet it states how thin the walls of the capillaries are
emphasizing why this is an area waiting for damage. To quote the statement
below the photo it says "Damage to the retina's capillaries have led to
tiny 'bleeds', showing up as small red dots." - These are the dots I talk
If there are no blood vessels in the centre of the eye it does not stop the
dots moving (and accumulating) within the vitreous fluid, thus allowing
them to move to the centre of the eye. I made the statement you query
because (a few years ago) I asked an ophthamologist about laser treatment
and she said that it cannot be used if dots are near the centre of the eye.
The dots are tiny bleeds from the vessels.
I know diabetes can also cause problems with cataracts (in the lens) and
glaucoma, but it seems these are not such important damage (?). My
understanding is that if eyes are regularly checked the 'dots' can be
identified and treatment (laser) be used to stop them accumulating and
causing real damage, without the checks it can be too late to give treatment.
I know that new blood vessels can form with the potential for damage, but
these can also be identified by DECS, although I am not sure how their
formation is treated.
I hope this makes my understanding clearer. Again I can attach the photo to
another email.
Best wishes,