Re: [IPk] Re: eyes

On Thu, 02 Mar 2000, John Neale wrote:
> Anyone know anything about a new drug snappily named LY333531 which is
> currently under trial in the US? It was talked about in a major article on
> retinopathy in the Summer 1999 JDF magazine, Countdown.
> It's an oral drug - a protein kinase C Beta inhibitor - and is entering
> phase III trials. It appears to halt and even reverse damage to retina
> blood vessels, increasing blood circulation, in the early stages of
> retinopathy, and to be much more effective than laser treatment.
> Di? Anyone? I'd hate to think there were innovative drugs now available out
> there, but not in Britain...

I've heard about it but know about as much as you.I have a feeling it was used for
something else originally and they discovered this effect as a by-product. I'll do a
little digging around. Like most things, I think it has to be used early on. If so, then
it's probably not that much more effective than laser treatment (which is pretty
effective if used early, except in a few unlucky cases). Of course, if you have poor
control, the damage is going to continue being done........

But it definitely sounds very promising, and much more so than anything else in the
future of retinopathy.