[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V5 #1318. Sourcing Funding

Helen
I fought for funding for 4 years with the Medtronic 640G
I did have the support of my consultant and I did all the work
I had to appeal to the CCG but that may have changed now
  I had to prove exceptionality which is very hard because there is no
definition of exceptionality!
 Melissa helped me with identifying the right route to use and who to appeal to.
 I also got letters of support from my family and friends
 I had lists of the times that I was in A and E but that has no influence on the
CCG. You have to prove that it is cheaper for you to be funded for your cgms vs
having incapacitating hypos
 The CCG dont pay for A and E so the cost of cgsm is more a negative for them
than relying on A and E when things go wrong. bizarrely they have no interest in
your health improvements only in finance xosts to them
I also used my MP, which went against the grain but helped.

 I suggest you establish first what the funding criteria are and mean, who is
the paymaster then build a business case to show how the CGMS route is cheaper
and more efficient for them then get as many letters of support that you can
If I can help text or email me off line
Rosie Featherstone