Re: [IPk] Statins

Hi Joanne et al,

I think that there are some wildly exaggerated claims for statins, mostly
emanating from the medical drug sales people, unfortunately doctors seem to
have been convinced/coerced and bought into the idea wholesale.

As always, educating yourself is the best option, so that you can make a
decision based on the your findings.  I certainly don't believe that statins
can 'clear' blood vessels of plaque, or even that a low cholesterol level is
particularly beneficial.

I would encourage you to look at the wider picture, that cholesterol is a
vital part of the bodies complex interaction, and is actually a precursor to
steroid hormones, so depleting this might lead to other unforseen problems.
Also, blocking a whole pathway involves shutting down the process (in the
liver in this case) which I also believe is not beneficial, and leaves damage
to other processes which are interdependent.

Some further reading/references and counter point arguments...

Article (general-2007):
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/may/statins.htm

Thincs(-2006):
http://www.thincs.org/WAPF2003.htm
http://www.thincs.org/links.htm

Stopped our statins:
http://stopped_our_statins.webs.com/

Wiki links to explanation of affected processes (very technical!):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytochrome_P450
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle

With every good wish,

Iain.
T1 Essex, UK.
minimed 515 pump
Current A1C February 2011 5.7.

Help diabetics to reach their full potential through athletic endeavours:
http://www.insulindependence.org