Re: [IPk] Re: Question for Teresa

Hi Di,

The difference to the reservoir being in the pump at that point is
that it is in the pump only for a limited number of days (however you
run things), whereas if you prepare reservoirs in advance then they
are there for much longer - my rather vague not very scientific
thinking is that once you have pierced the seal of the vial, that is
no longer 100% sterile, but hopefully with reasonable hygiene, nothing
will get in, and once you draw up insulin into the reservoir and do
assorted manoeuvres to get out air bubbles, again a very slight
additional chance of contamination, even covered by little cover thing
or connection to tubing, and the more days elapse, the more chance
that any possible contamination may develop further. I agree that
these are very small risks, and I wouldn't lose sleep over them.

I agree with you about not putting insulin in and out of the fridge,
not only because of bubbles, but also wondering if it would do more to
denature the molecules - that was my question in previous email - in
the hope that someone out there has an answer.

Nanette