[IPk] Re: Question for Teresa

Hi Iain

It depends on the person - people have different thresholds for pain
and some people will feel the withdrawal of the needle more than
others. It can be more painful for children because they tend to
squirm around, which creates vibration and thus stimulates nerve
endings in the subcutaneous tissue as the needle is being pulled out.
Even if the child is very still, another person doing the set change
may unconsciously introduce vibration whilst withdrawing the needle.

If you're happy with your sets, keep doing what you're doing. Just
ensure you're rotating your sets around enough so you're not
developing scar tissue. If you feel nothing at all (i.e. it's as if
the tissue below the skin is numb) when you insert a set, you may have
hit on an area of damaged/scarred tissue. Continually putting sets
into damaged tissue can lead to trouble with absorption and,
therefore, unpredictable blood glucose levels (just what we try to
avoid with a pump).

Melissa
Type 1 18+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 6.5 years;
currently writing up a paper on infusion site management for diabetes
care professionals (freelance gig)