RE: [IPk] hyperglycaemia and encephalitis

Di,

During one of my many hospital stays with severe chest infections/problems,
I was moved to different wards 7 times - in one 24 hour period, 3 times!  To
put it mildly continuity of care was a major issue, plus being exposed to
even more bugs and infections and eventually I put my foot down, like David,
and refused to move again when they came to shift me for the 8th time.

It may be fine for you to have mixed bedded wards/cubicles, but if you are
in a bed next to a disturbed confused elderly male patient who keeps
stripping and getting out of bed while attached to drips and unaware of it,
and there are not always staff around - in fact if there are that is quite
something - most of the time patients end up having to keep an eye out for
each other. Struggling to breathe, I could do without this constant problem.

Personally, I now opt for single sex wards wherever possible.  If you are in
bed ill, you are not always able to pull curtains around you when you
need/want privacy and how much privacy does a curtain provide?  Next to
nothing.

Obviously you are comfortable with mixed wards, I used to be, but
experiences have changed my position on this.

So please do pause a moment before being scathing about those of us who
differ from you.  Your viewpoint is valid as is mine and hopefully we can
differ without rancour.

Rhoda