Re: [IPk] RE: ip-uk-digest V4 #116

Hi Brenda
Why don't you practise doing blood tests (and even injections - using
saline) on yourself? You don't need to practise on David! Just borrow
his stabber and a lancet and have a go. You don't need to even tell him
if you don't want to! Then you'll be fully equipped to deal with a
Glucagon emergency. You can always ask at your local GP also, I'm sure
the nurse would take you through the procedure if you wanted to, again
without David even knowing.

When home BG testing first came in, my very nice doctor first stabbed
himself (to show me it didn't hurt) and then let me stab him as
practice! I'm not sure many doctors would do that! My first ever
injection, on the other hand, (aged 8), I got no practice at - the nurse
just handed me a syringe and told me to inject my leg, so I did (as she
was very scary!).
My mum was given a glucagon kit (for me) which luckily she never had to
use - she's also never injected me in her life but she's had plenty of
practice injecting horses, cats and dogs! Much more difficult as they
tend to squirm a lot more (or kick/bite you)! She's not a vet, though
she would have loved to be one!
Di