[IPk] RE:severe hypo or not

Hi
I've been following this thread with some interest. Brenda, I'm glad David
is feeling better and can I just reassure you that he will continue to
improve, hopefully, but it may be rather a slow process especially with al
the other drugs that have been thrown into the mix. I know this as have had
a couple of incidences liker this over the years.
One in particular, was a hypo while my husband was at work, in the early
hours of the morning. I wasn't good at testing then and had slept in, but
must have had a hypo and not woken up. When he arrived home at lunchtime, I
was still in bed and unconscious. But on testing my blood it was 7.4. I
seemed awake after he disturbed me but I had no speech or movement. I can
only remember him carrying me onto the sofa and the motor racing being on!
But I just felt half asleep and totally paralysed. He called the Dr who came
and called an ambulance. I remember being in hospital but again, my BG was
fine, so they put me in a single room and just let me sleep it off. I can
only describe it as being ain a 'dream state' awake, but not. It took about
two days before I became able to talk and move myself and become aware of my
surroundings. Left me feeling very confused and 'out of it' for a while,
though, and with blinding headache.
Another time, I had a horrible nighttime hypo (had many on MDI despite my
best attempts at control) and went straight into a seizure, biting my tongue
and convulsing. I was vomiting blood from the tongue injury and my hubbie
called an ambulance as he couldn't keep me still enough to inject glucagon
or get any carbs into me. The ambulance came and admitted me. Glucagon was
given, which made me violently sick, as it does (hate that stuff!) and I
began to come round. However, again, my BG on the ambulance arriving was 6
or so, so I had already rebounded.
It does take me a long time, though, after some major hypo's to recover.
During a major hypo, I become terrified of many things and can scream and
scream in terror at anyone who comes near me as I think I feel they will
hurt me. Fear and panic is a big factor in these type of hypo's. Thankfully
they are few and far between! (The last one being induced as a test a month
or so ago for adrenal insufficiency. I thought the nurse and Dr were trying
to murder me!  Never again!)
Jackie, what you said about the spinal fluid was very interesting. Made a
lot of sense so thanks for sharing that.
Hope this helps you Brenda. I'm sure things will even out and your son will
improve.
Good luck.
Helen
Type 1 36 years, pump since 2004