Re: [IPk] RE: statins problems

Hi Christine

If I were you I would ask your diabetes consultant if he or she thinks
it's appropriate for you to be on 40 mg simvastatin - if you're
gaining weight and your cholesterol is below normal, it could be hard
to quantify a benefit. Your diabetes consultant can write to your GP
about the dose of your statin and indicate that it needs to be
reviewed/changed. It sounds like the change to your dosage was made
arbitrarily rather than with reference to your personal health, which
is odd in itself.

There is indeed a healthy level of cholesterol: the human body makes
the stuff for a reason. The association of high (i.e., elevated above
'normal') levels with cardiovascular disease is important, but the
EDIC study has shown that for type 1s, long-term glucose control can
make a bigger difference in markers for cardiovascular health than
statin use.

Feel free to print this out and ask your GP for his or her opinion:
http://www.lipidsonline.org/commentaries/al_abstract.cfm?abs_id=abs045

Melissa