Re: [IPk] RE: ip-uk-digest V4 #102

HI Babs,

Some time ago my GP decided that as a diabetic his belief is that we all
should be on statins, so prescribed me 40mg simvastatin "to protect your
circulation system".  I wasn't happy about that as my cholesterol at the time
was 4.1, so  asked why am I going straight on the large dose?  His reply was
"there is no lower cholesterol limit, the 10mg and 20mg are barely effective,
in fact you can get 10mg over the counter now".

I took them for about 3 months, and my cholesterol dropped to 3.1, I had no
side effects, but after doing some research was very worried about
rhabdomyolisis (muscle burning/destruction) as that is a recognised side
effect and I train with weights 4 times a week, so am starting muscle
breakdown intentionally.

I stopped taking them soon after and haven't/won't take them again as I feel I
am at high risk for that side effect.  I have no specific research to back
that up, but am happy to take the 'risk' of not having a statin.  My
cholesterol has gone up since I stopped taking them, usually around 5.5 now.
Lots of the things I read led me to believe that the pathway that is blocked
by statins is also responsible/involved for quite a few other things in the
body, and I think that we don't fully understand the consequenses of knocking
that out in the quest to lower cholesterol production.  I also think that
cholesterol per se is not the demon it is made out to be - why would the liver
make it if not required?

Some further reading-
http://stopped_our_statins.webs.com/
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/statins/statin-disaster/

So, it's up to you but as long as you do your research at least you can make
an informed choice as I have done.

With every good wish,

Iain.

T1 Essex UK