[IPk] Pump & CGM Funding

Guys

Is there a better way to gain access to funding for diabetes?

I have been diabetic for 34 years and I am more than a little tired of
having to fight for funding for every single improvement in treatment.  I do
not wish to be negative here but as people with type 1 diabetes we get a
poor deal!  I can remember fighting for funding for disposable needles,
something we were only given after the government of the day were
embarrassed by diabetics publicly because we were paying for our own
disposable syringes and drug addicts were being given them to mitigate the
risk of HIV & AIDS.  Even this was not an all encompassing solution I am
sure that many of us on here remember that even after we were given funding
for syringes we were still having to pay for novopen needles until the early
1990's.

I have been lucky enough to secure funding for my pump a battle which took
me a little over 2 years and I remain grateful for the fantastic advice I
received from this forum and in particular the help of John.  I am now
embarking on my next campaign which is to get funding for CGM.  Everybody is
telling me that I don't stand a chance but I remain certain that I can get
this resolved.  The thing that really strikes me is that we are all fighting
these battles daily on an individual level, the clinical evidence
demonstrates that these standards improve the outcome for us and have a
financial benefit to the NHS in delaying and preventing secondary symptoms.
There are circa 94,000 of us in the UK with type 1 diabetes, surely we need
a single combined voice to promote our rights to these treatments, and
before anybody suggests that diabetes UK is already doing this I would agree
in part.  However, the fact remains that diabetes UK focuses on the
interests of all of its members but the majority of those are diagnosed with
type 2 diabetes and they focus understanably on this arena.

If we combine our efforts and we approach the manufacturers like Medtronic,
Roche and Animas for assistance in creating a single combined voice which
has more volume and impact than 94,000 individual voices over a disparate
time frame.  How can we create this single voice to promote access to
treatment?

Paul