Re: [IPk] re: diabetic devices

Hi Rhoda
You might like the SpiBelt for wearing your pump. It's very comfortable,
unlike most waist pouches, and you can easily spin it around on your
waist to wherever is comfortable (eg at the back if you're bending over,
or at the front or side if you're lying down. I've started wearing it
for all my sports and find it much better than anything else, and it's
easy to just unzip and get at (you can also fit a pack of glucose tabs
or small meter in there if you need to). You can only get them from the
US but they're not too expensive and they ship them for free over here,
and it arrives in about a week. Works well when wearing a skirt too.
http://www.spibelt.com/

For wearing under a dress, I'm a big fan of the cleavage or in the bra
under the arm but for some dresses it's still not very practical. I
discovered by chance this summer that control pants actually make the
ideal location! I bought a new summer dress and was a bit conscious
about my stomach after several months of enforced inactivity, and bought
some fetching control pants from M&S. They're perfect for putting the
pump in and actually fairly easy to the pump out of for bolusing if
you're e.g. sitting at dinner, as you can just reach under the skirt
part of the dress. I wore it that way with a dress for a conference
dinner followed by dancing and it stayed put with no problem!

As for supplies, I use a small pencil case for emergency stuff (1 spare
infusion set, 1 spare insulin cartridge, 1 syringe, 1 reservoir, and a
small tube of glucose gel) which fits easily into any handbag except a
very small one. Additionally I carry my meter and a pack of glucose
tabs. That does me for any day trip - though for most day trips I tend
to carry a small rucksack anyway as I like to have room for a jumper,
book, etc!

Agree completely about the waste of packaging. ONe thing that drives me
nuts is the pointless bit of tape that holds together the tubing of each
infusion set (Silhouette). It's only tiny but it's completely unnecessary!
Di