RE: [IPk] Diabetic Macular Oedema

I was reading Balance over the weekend and there was a letter in from
someone who had sight restoring injections following macula oedema.
>From what I can gather they were not funded by the NHS.  Unfortunately,
I am at work and cannot remember the name of the drug but maybe their
website might have the article?

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of June Searle
Sent: 05 June 2011 19:20
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPk] Diabetic Macular Oedema

I have resent the following message as I forgot to change the heading.

Hi

I have had retinopathy for 25 years and so many laser burns that they
say
they can't get any more in.  I have been on the pump for just over 8
years,
which was also the year I was told I was partially sighted.  With
pumping I
hoped I had got my complication under control.

A few months ago they did an eye photography session in which they first
injected me with a substance.  I was told afterwards that they were
looking
for diabetic macular oedema.  They found it in both eyes and when I
visited
about three weeks ago I was told they intend to have several photography
sessions over the next 8 months and my appointment was made for January,
which really surprised me as I usually go more often.

Over the last week or so I have been getting floaters which I have not
had
for years.  I have also had a couple of really bad headaches starting
from
my eyes, across my forehead and across my head.  On Friday I decided to
ring
the eye department and was told they will make an earlier appointment to
see
me soon.  Can anyone else who has both problems tell me more about all
this.
My imagination is going 2 to the dozen and what I am coming up with is
frightening me.  My life is already curtailed enough by the partial
sightedness and other complications and I can find little about
outcomes.
The macular websites say 'Don't worry, sufferers do not go blind as they
still have peripheral sight'.  However, I have already lost mine.
Please
has anyone any thoughts on this?

June

 This email and any attached files transmitted are confidential and intended
solely
 for the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you received this email in
error
 you may not take action based on its contents, nor should you copy, print or
show
 this to anyone; instead please reply to the sender and highlight the error,
then
delete the message from your system.

 Please note that the content of e-mail sent and received may have to be
disclosed
by the Council in response to a request for access to information.