[IPk] Metformin and breakfast spikes

Thanks to Laura and Rick.

I thought I'd better change the subject thread.David Hales > Date: Mon, 30 Jun
2008 11:11:54 +0000> From: email @ redacted> Subject: Re: [IPk] RE:
Profile of Annabelle Nevile <email @ redacted>> To:
day, don't really notice any difference at the> moment. It is a drug for
insulin resistance. Commonly used with type 2> patients.> Laura> > > > -----
Original Message ----> From: david hales <email @ redacted>> To:
email @ redacted> Sent: Monday, 30 June, 2008 12:06:10 PM> Subject:
[IPk] RE: Profile of Annabelle Nevile <email @ redacted>> > Hi Annabelle>
> I thought it was just ME having the breakfast spikes - my DSN didn't say it>
was common, likely or possible. In fact, she said that she was at a loss to>
think of ways to sort the problem (I've tried everything from splitting the>
Lantus into two injections, having the Humalog 30 minutes before breakfast,>
varying the doses of each. Trouble is, if i increase the Humalog dose with>
breakfast, I stay high for about four hours - THEN PLUMMET!> > I haven't heard
of metformin - what is it and how does it help?> > From what you say, it looks
as if I should be finding out about this.> > (I am waiting to go on a pump -
Accu-chek Spirit - when the paperwork has> been> completed).> > CheersDavid
Hales > Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:33:39 -0700> From:> email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted> Subject:> Profile> of Annabelle Nevile
<email @ redacted>> > Annabelle Nevile> <email @ redacted>>
Annabelle Nevile - I'm 37 and I've had diabetes> since> I was 12. I have been>
pumping for about 6 years. The pump got my hba1c down> from 8.6 to 7.2 within>
months and my last reading was 6.8 (at last!). I've> been using a paradigm
522> for a year - it includes the cgms. I'm using> apidra> and I'm currently>
experimenting with one metformin tablet a day to help with> post breakfast
huge> spikes. I walk after meals to help with spiking. I> didn't> used to
suffer so> much> from post meal highs and don't really know why I'm> getting
them now. I'm> married> with a 2 year old and I'm one of 3 sisters -> the only
one in my family with> diabetes. I also have pernicious anaemia. I> live in
Linolnshire and see a> diabetic team at Chelsea and Westminster> hospital in
Introducing Live Search cashback .B It's search that pays you back!>
http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=introsrchca>
or to subscribe/unsubscribe/change list versions,> contact:
HELP@insulin-pumpers.org> > > >