Re: [IPk] Mysteries of the doctors surgery

Jackie,

I know exactly what you mean about "Lucky dip" syndrome.

 I have 4 tablets, two for blood pressure, one statin and one for my allergies,
I also have a set of eye drops, two different blood glucose strips, blood ketone
strips, Vials of humalog, Vial of Humilin I, syringes and lancets.

 I tried to use the local chemists phone and collect service, where you phone
the local chemist and they tick the items you want and then do all the
processing with the surgery and you just collect the items 48 hours later, but
unfortunately this doesn't work.

 To actually get the right items I have to constantly write a covering letter
with my repeat prescription or actually go in and see the doctor (which is a
whole different ball game of trying to organise an appointment). I then have to
wait 48 hours for the prescription to be written, and then go collect it from
the doctors, check it in reception, hopefully it is right, otherwise i have to
ask for it to be altered and wait another 4 hours. Then I can go to the chemist
and get it made up.

 When I enquired about the repeat prescription process, I was told it was a
senior receptionist who put them all through the computer and the doctor just
checked and signed them.

 When I went on the pump, I actually got phoned up by the receptionist asking me
why i wanted Vials and not Cartridges and why I was asking for Syringes, to be
honest I was probably a bit short with her and told her i would only discuss
this with the doctor, as he knew my medical case.

 I think what really worries me is the fact that the doctors are obviously just
signing repeat prescriptions for anything that is put on their desk, us guys are
a bit more savy about it and will say something, but there might me other people
out there with cupboards full of stuff they don't use, because they don't want
to complain.
 Stuart Chadwick.

 Diabetic T1 19 Years, Paradigm 715 user 1 year 4 months, Carelink user, and
occasional CGMS User.