Re: [IPk] Waterproof Accu-chek Spirit - Aquapac -Lesley

Hi Lesley:

Sorry about the link. If you open it and then type insulin into the site
search box at the top right it opens up a page with two models that are
suitable for insulin pumps. These were designed originally for other
equipment, underwater camera or cochlear implant, but according to the
webpage can be used for a pump. However, they do have a warning at the
bottom regarding use with a pump.  There is a link to some research. Under
some circumstances there may be restriction of flow through the tubing
obviously not a great idea. If you go to the Aquapac US site, they dont
include the warning, so I am not sure how serious the problem is. I think it
is something you would have to check out yourself. If you are keen on
watersports or are going to wear the pump in situations where there is a
significant risk of immersion (e.g on a sailing dinghy) it might be worth
risking the #35.

I am due to go live next month (26 days and counting down), so I have no
personal experience.  When I was approved for a pump, I did a bit of
research about waterproofing. However as I will be getting a MM522, I will
be ordering the dedicated waterproof Sport Guard direct from Medtronic.

Joel