Re: [IPk] Insurance for pumps

I guess it also depends if you're the kind of person who always takes
out insurance for everything, or makes a judgement call before deciding.
I only take out insurance on either things that would be crippling to
replace (e.g house contents) or which have a high probability of needing
a claim.

For example, I only ever take out warranties for household objects with
moving parts, in general, as they're more likely to break down (e.g.
washing machines tend to break down, cookers don't). If you expect a DVD
player to break down once every 3 years, it costs more to get an
extended warranty on it for that time than to replace it every 3 years.
I take out travel insurance for going outside Europe because of the huge
health costs involved if you get ill, but not for European trips.
In nearly 20 years of adult life (living on my own) I've only once made
an insurance claim for anything, and that was when I was burgled at home.
Di