[IPk] Re: To Hilly

Dear Hilly,

Firstly, every sympathy with the eating disorder - I
watched my now 31 year old daughter go through
anorexia in her teens, with bad patches recurring
much later too, so am very aware how tough is to get
out of - well done to you for being on your way out
of it, particularly without what sounds like enough
in the way of really good psychotherapy and support.

It is a great generalization to say that everyone
gains weight in their first months on a pump. I'm
not the only one on this list who had no great
change in weight, and some lost weight - in my case
not dramatically but slightly  - mostly because I
felt so much better, both physically and
emotionally, that food somehow took a more
reasonable and healthy perspective in my life. I
find that as soon as my blood glucose control goes
haywire, particularly when I am walking around all
the time with high BG, depression gradually starts
to set in - several times I've been convinced that I
should be looking for psychological help for this,
but found that a visit to my endocrinologist with
suggestions how to improve BG control has resulted
in great improvement in mood within a week or two.
Everything is linked for many of us, and while I can
see that when just recovering from what sounds like
a very severe episode of anorexia, you are very
vulnerable and need to be really careful, and
perhaps not to make any lifestyle change
immediately, I agree with your reaction that the
consultant's response might be a little harsh and
unreasonable.

Good luck with it all,

Nanette

>Subject: [IPk] Pump appointment at Treliske
>
>Dear All
>Apart from my diabetes I also have some other
health
problems, such as
>depression and anxiety. I also have an eating
disorder
which I am currently
>managing very well and have done for the last 6
months, but
has seen me drop
>to about 6 stone (5ft 4) last year.
> The reason I am writing is I had an appointment
with the
pump consultant
>today and he has decided to postpone putting me on
a pump
for at least a
>further 12 months or until my general mental health
has
improved. Although
>bitterly disappointed by the outcome of today I
have to say
I agree as I think
>he understood how difficult it is for me to
maintain any
kind of weight gain
>already achieved - 8 stone now!
>I agree with the decision, as I said, but I still
came out
and cried my heart
>out as im frustrated with myself for not being
stronger. I
will now have to
>lose this consultant as he only does the pump
clinics which
is also upsetting
>as he's really good at his job.
>My blood sugar levels are still mostly 15 -25.0
(12%)and
his point was if I
>went on the pump and had a target of even .
>8% I would inevitably gain more weight. I really
dont want
this as it may
>undermine the "good" work Ive already achieved in
regard to
my mental health.
>I know some weight gain is expected as I am just
running
high at the moment,
>hence further weight loss is happening due to my
poor
control but I wondered
>what other people's experience was of how much
weight they
gained as a result