Re: [IPk] Pump appointment at Treliske

> Hi Hilly

I really feel for you and what you're going through. I had an eating
disorder over twenty years ago now but the feelings never go away totally.
I did put weight on at that time - after being in hospital for a month etc
but another major turning point for me was a couple of years ago when my
kidney function got really bad. I had already lost a kidney through TB
(the anorexia followed on from this) and my other kidney was failing. It
gave me such a wake up call as I realised that my life was more important
than simply my weight. I did put nearly a stone on and I wasn't on the
pump then just MDI but my bloods got better (not perfect which is why I
got the pump) but enough to stabilise my kidney function. I have since
been assessed for a kidney and pancreas transplant and my sister is
matched as a kidney donor but so far I do not need it. These are not the
only complication I have (bleeds in the eye etc)

I'm sure you do and I really know it's not that easy but please try to
think of the long term effects rather than the immediate effect of weight
gain. I do try to minimise calories by treating hypos with just lucozade
etc but you can always lose any extra few pounds after you have gained
control of your diabetes.

Take care
Gillian

Dear  All