RE: [IPk] Is it wise to starting pumping BEFORE holiday?

Sorry - I meant to add the title. It's "Insulin Pump Therapy Demystified" sub
title "An Essential Guide for Everyone Pumping Insulin", by Gabrielle
Kaplan-Mayer ISBN 1-56924-508-8.
I found it very easy to read and very informative. David Hales > Date: Tue, 17
Jun 2008 16:07:07 +0100> From: email @ redacted> To:
email @ redacted> Subject: Re: [IPk] Is it wise to starting pumping
Walsh is the Pumpers Bible!!! Definitely get > hold of a copy of that if you
can.> The other one sounds interesting, what's it called?> > As for Morocco,
just email me offlist with any questions that aren't > DM-related.> As for hot
weather, it's a very individual thing. I don't really need to > adjust my
insulin at all, unless I'm more active or eating different > kinds of food.
Some people are much more sensitive to hot weather (I > wonder if it's related
to how well you tolerate heat? I love it, so it > doesn't seem to influence my
levels).> Di> > david hales wrote:> > Thanks again. I've been reading some
books (on pumps that is, not Morocco> yet)> > and I came across an excellent
one by Gabrielle Kaplan-Meyer. She is a writer> > who happens to be on a pump,
so it's an easy read. It covers all the> questions> > that you are likely to
have as a learner, and gives examples from real-life> > people. It IS American
though, so the BG units have to be converted, and you> > have to be aware of
several other differences. But all in all, I can> recommend> > it. (and it
only cost #1.94 plus #2.50 postage from a thrid party Amazon> > seller -
Booksets.com.> >> > I also have another book which I found on Amazon - Pumping
Insulin, by John> > Walsh. I haven't started this yet though 'cos my son
bought me the "20 years> > with Brian Clough" for Fathers' Day!> >> > I am
sure I will have questions on Morocco - perhaps via another email> address> >
so that this forum doesn't become a travel shop (although some of my>
questions> > will be insulin-related, such as how much does the temperature
affect the> > insulin requirement - I suppose it varies between people, but is
it 10%> > lower...20%...50%? I have no idea).> >> > I live near to Sunny
Sheffield too - Denby DaleDavid Hales > Date: Tue, 17> Jun> > 2008 15:35:01
+0100> From: email @ redacted> To:> > email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IPk] Is it wise to starting pumping> > have between getting the
pump and > starting on it, even if it's only a day!> > At least you can
practise > familiarising yourself with it (you might even> > want to try
inserting a > set as practice!). I tried inserting a Softset with> > no
whanger (as I > didn't have one) when I first got delivery of my pump!> Just>
> for fun as I > was curious!> > If you want to know anything about Morocco>
just> > ask, as I've just been > there a few weeks ago.> Di> > david hales
wrote:> >> > Thanks very much for this Di. You confirmed what I was thinking -
wait! But>> >> > it's hard to be patient when you are rarin' to go! I am
looking forward to> >> > using the pump, and I am hoping it can help to sort
out my "spikes and> dykes">> > > >> ;>).> >> > I am looking forward to the
trip too! But I think I'll stick with> >> > > the jabs> for> > now.> >> >
Thanks again for this specific help and all your> > other replies to many
others> > in the group.David Hales > Date: Tue, 17 Jun> > 2008 12:06:01 +0100>
From:> > email @ redacted> To:> > email @ redacted> Subject:
Re: [IPk]> Is> > it wise to starting> > pumping BEFORE holiday?> > Insulin
Pumpers is made> > possible by your tax> > deductible contributions.> Your
donation of $10, $25, or> > more... just $1> or> > $2 per month is > needed so
that Insulin Pumpers can> > continue to serve you> > and the rest> of the
diabetes community. Please visit:>> > > >>> >
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml> > Your annual contribution will>>
on> >>>>> > > the pump> > at least 2 weeks in advance of going on > holiday,
then I'd say> > you'll be> > fine. I wouldn't advise starting say a > week
before you go> > though. If you> > know that your control goes AWOL > during
hot temperatures> > then I wouldn't> > start the pump then. Also, for > the
first couple of weeks> > at least, I think> > you'll want to be within > easy
reach of advice from> DSN,> > this list, and> > hospitals (just in case) - >
and I wouldn't recommend> > Morocco as a good place> > to be ill.....> I've
just been to Morocco a couple> > of weeks ago and it was> > certainly an >
interesting experience (I> didn'thave> > any pump problems despite> > getting
> food poisoning). But the risk of food> > poisoning / dodgy stomach is> >> >
pretty high there, so again not an ideal> > time to be starting on a pump >
I'd> > say.> Di> > > david hales wrote:> > I> > am awaiting delivery of a
Accu-chek> > Spirit pump, but I go on holiday to> >> > Morocco mid-July. Would
it be more> > sensible to wait until I come back> > before> I> > start on the
pump (if it> > arrives in time), or would it be> easy> > to cope with> >
learning the routine in> > the very hot temperatures?> >> > I> > would be
grateful for any advice or> > experience on this, thanks.> > David> > Hales>
or to> > subscribe/unsubscribe/change list versions,> contact:> >> >
HELP@insulin-pumpers.org> >> >