RE: [IPk] Is it wise to starting pumping BEFORE holiday?

Thanks very much for this Di. You confirmed what I was thinking - wait! But
it's hard to be patient when you are rarin' to go! I am looking forward to
using the pump, and I am hoping it can help to sort out my "spikes and dykes"
;>).

I am looking forward to the trip too! But I think I'll stick with the jabs for
now.

Thanks again for this specific help and all your other replies to many others
in the group.David Hales > Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:06:01 +0100> From:
email @ redacted> To: email @ redacted> Subject: Re: [IPk] Is
it wise to starting pumping BEFORE holiday?> > Insulin Pumpers is made
possible by your tax deductible contributions.> Your donation of $10, $25, or
more... just $1 or $2 per month is > needed so that Insulin Pumpers can
continue to serve you and the rest> of the diabetes community. Please visit:>
> http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml> > Your annual contribution will
eliminate this header from your IP mail> > Hi David> If you start on the pump
at least 2 weeks in advance of going on > holiday, then I'd say you'll be
fine. I wouldn't advise starting say a > week before you go though. If you
know that your control goes AWOL > during hot temperatures then I wouldn't
start the pump then. Also, for > the first couple of weeks at least, I think
you'll want to be within > easy reach of advice from DSN, this list, and
hospitals (just in case) - > and I wouldn't recommend Morocco as a good place
to be ill.....> I've just been to Morocco a couple of weeks ago and it was
certainly an > interesting experience (I didn'thave any pump problems despite
getting > food poisoning). But the risk of food poisoning / dodgy stomach is >
pretty high there, so again not an ideal time to be starting on a pump > I'd
say.> Di> > > david hales wrote:> > I am awaiting delivery of a Accu-chek
Spirit pump, but I go on holiday to> > Morocco mid-July. Would it be more
sensible to wait until I come back before> I> > start on the pump (if it
arrives in time), or would it be easy to cope with> > learning the routine in
the very hot temperatures?> >> > I would be grateful for any advice or
experience on this, thanks.> > David Hales> .>