Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V3 #1385 - Complications

Hi Deb
How old you are doesn't really make a difference, people of any age can
be oblivious to the dangers and can ignore all the sensible advice! Look
at all the people who smoke!  The thing is that there are different ways
of getting through to people. Personally I would say to your friend
something like
"I'm so envious of you, how on earth do you manage to keep your blood
sugar under control without testing?" and then steer the conversation to
worries about complications and so on. Maybe you can even just offer to
test her blood sugar "out of interest"  while she's eating her crisps
and orange juice! There are lots of ways to subtly try to help her
change her views (it took me months to get my dad to even test his BG,
and to realise that drinking full-sugar Coke at lunch was far worse than
having a small bowl of ice cream!). Is your friend type I or II by the way?

Out of interest why did you go for the lowest carb meal in the Mexican?
Are you trying to eat low carb? Or were you just worried about getting
the carb content right? In those situations I just test a lot and keep
adjusting.
Di