RE: [IPk] Summer Camps

Hi Angie

Here is the page on the US CWD website about the camps.  If you decide an area
you would like to visit then I can always enquire from other members on the US
 parents list about which camps they recommend. I dont know how soon you have to
book up but I think that Jeff Hitchcock send a reminder out in the "What new in
Diabetes" email that he complies, quite early in the year for people to book up
it they want their child to go to camp.  I know many do.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/camps/index.htm

Also see this statement from the ADA.

"To ensure safety and optimal diabetes management, multiple blood glucose
determinations should be made throughout each 24-h period: before meals, at
bedtime, after or during prolonged and strenuous activity and in the middle of
the night when indicated for prior hypoglycaemia (bedtime blood glucose levels
 <100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/l]), after extra doses of insulin, and if the
parent/camper
so requests. Children should be encouraged to check blood glucose levels at
other than routine times if they have symptoms of hypo/hyperglycemia or if they
have other physical complaints."

Can you imagine this happening in the UK when so many DSNs and consultants dont
recommend night time testing, let alone schools staff taking this on!  Some
 consultants (Plymouth and Wales) saying that children don't go low in the
night,
if they dont wake or have outward symptoms then they definitely aren't hypo and
the meters are wrong!!  Oh and  CGMS was said to be wrong too, in one case

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/camps/d_07_103.htm

If only we had this sort of attention available in the UK.

I wish there were more places like the place where there are people like Neil.

I was talking to one of the parents in my local parents group on Thursday
evening and the parent was telling me that the nursery wont allow her daughter
to attend as often as the other children the same age, because she has diabetes
and needs more attention and they cannot get funding for more staff time.  Even
the school she is to attend in September are talking about her only attending
half days even though her friends will be full time much earlier.   Diabetes
Camp Holidays are probably the least of some parents problems.

Another parent was told that her son was "Using his diabetes" to get attention
 at school!!! The school have always refused to test him or help him test. When
 he started to do his own tests the school would not report the readings over
the
phone to the mother.  The little boy had to do in in case the school made a
mistake!!  The  school only started paying any attention to the boys diabetes
care plan when another child with diabetes came to the school and had a full
blown seizure one day.  After that they took things more seriously.

Jackie

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080614-1, 14/06/2008
Tested on: 14/06/2008 17:56:37