[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V3 #1385 - Complications

How I agree with Melissa. I get really angry when people accuse diabetics
with complications of not managing their condition properly.

I have been exceptionally lucky - My last consultant said if you could hit
the 30 year mark without any life threatening complications then you would
probably get through without any at all. At 40 years he told me he had only
two other patients who had had Type 1 for over 40 years. When I asked him
what happened to the rest his answer was "they all died off somewhere along
the way".

When I told him my niece and nephew had developed Type 1 his answer was "if
they have the same genes as you they will be fine".

I can remember being lectured in my teens (1960s) that if I wasn't careful I
would be blind at 30 and dead before I was 40 - however, then the methods of
controlling diabetes were pretty crude.

Improvements in care have advanced dramatically - when I was diagnosed
(1954) the only way of testing for sugar was to boil up my urine with
Fehling solution over the gas ring - not an incentive to test at all! Not
sure what we would have done if we hadn't had gas . No wonder so many people
died young and became blind.

We all moan about difficulties in getting pumps, bad tempered DSN's, etc,
etc, but I think we should all just step back sometimes and appreciate how
good things are for us. We at least have access to testing, advice, eye
screening and regular reviews of our condition. Many of us do have
complications, and often its not down to anything they have or have not done
. and please don't think I don't sympathise with those in that position - I
can understand their anger and frustration.

Mary Moody