Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V3 #1385

Carol Ann wrote:

"What kills me about the Parkinson's is that it is
progresive and there is nothing I can do about it . With Diabetes, if you
follow the rulles nothing will happen to you, except the odd  'wobley' and as
you are allready on the pump, you should not have too much trouble on that
front."

It is true that good control has been shown to prevent or delay the
onset of complications in type 1 diabetes (by the Diabetes Control &
Complicatons Trial, DCCT, and its follow-up study, the Epidemiology of
Diabetes Complications, EDIC). Yet there is still a big genetic
component to the development of complications. Some people take
excellent care of themselves and remain susceptible to complications,
while others who seem to do very little to help themselves somehow
escape damage. Anyone who was diagnosed with type 1 in the 1960s or
before and is still around is probably someone with a high degree of
protection from complications. In the 1960s/70s the "rules" were much
looser than today. Now we know that the high rate of death from heart
disease around age 40 among type 1s in the 1970s/80s was probably due
to the standard of care available at the time.

With home blood glucose monitoring and routine A1C testing, available
since the mid-to-late 1980s, complemented by the results of the DCCT
and other studies, the prognosis of type 1 diabetes changed a whole
lot. It is sad to think of how many people died doing the best they
could before we knew better. But even now people around the world
struggle to get the care that we take for granted. Type 1 diabetes is
still a dangerous disease, even for people who have access to good
care and even more so for those who can't afford care, glucose
testing, and insulin. Every day children die from DKA, teenagers go on
dialysis, and families make hard choices about whether to feed the
baby or buy insulin for the mother.

Melissa
Type 1 15+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 4.5 years
Type 1 15+ years