RE: [IPk] Summer Camps

Hi June

They still do family weekend events which are still very popular, but
oversubscribed and once you have been once, its very hard to take a child again
 because they like newly diagnosed children to go. These are excellent in my
view
 and I wish they could have more of them. There is also a family week event for
the whole family (or there was last year)

They also do holiday for kids only but only on one or two venues can children
with pumps attend as they haven't been able to get medical professionals with
pump expertise to take part.  I dont think that they are short of non
 professional pumpers to help but have said that they need medical pros with
pump
experience to volunteer.  These holidays are also nearly always oversubscribed.

You can see the list of places here

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Care-events/Childrens-holidays/

Jackie

> Hi
>
> I found what you are saying about Summer Camps very interesting to read.
> Don't Diabetes UK still offer camps in this country?  I helped for 2 weeks
> in 1967 and 68 and those camps were fantastic.  I was a mature diabetic
> student training to be a teacher, and this was a good way to spend the
> holidays as a volunteer.  I was allowed to take my 5 year old to join the
> young diabetics who were primary school age.  They all had a wonderful time
> almost flooding the school we were staying in.  We went on loads of visits
> and joined in various activities locally and of course had many hypos to
> contend with.  The doctors and nurses who accompanied the group were
> fantastic and so many children managed to start controlling their own
> diabetes and to understand so much about it.  If these no longer go on in
> the UK, I think it is a shame.  The American camps sound just wonderful.  I
> want to know more as I think my local group would possibly save money to
> allow a child to go.  Of course the transport to America is the difficult
> part.  Don't keep discussion of this topic to yourselves in private
> discussion.  I am sure I am not the only interested person.
>
> June
>
> contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080614-0, 14/06/2008
Tested on: 14/06/2008 12:08:47