RE: [IPk] Summer Camps

Hi Neil

I am so pleased to hear that there are people like you about.  I would be very
 happy for Sasha to attend something like the courses you take part in running.
fact when Sasha was younger we had already mentally booked her on the DUK
holidays.

 It is also great to hear that Gwent hospital do something like this for their
 children. That's fantastic. I know that there is another hospital up north who
also arrange trips like these.  However there are very few hospitals who do
 something like this and many schools are reluctant to take children on day
trips
away even.  My husband went along with my daughter on two residential trips
 because the school or the centre would not do any night time BG checks and
Sasha
has nil hypo awareness at night,  and before we started checking every night
Sasha had about 8 or 9 seizures because she does not wake when she goes low.
She also needs to have a Gluten Free diet and that proved very difficult to one
particular place to get their head around!!!

Some schools wont take kids on day trips because they do risk assessments which
conclude its not safe!!!  Dont get me started!!

Where is the centre that you work in?

Believe me UK CWD Advocacy Groups are working with INPUT  DUK and JDRF to try
and get better support for chidlren with diabetes in schools.

We were very disappointed/shocked that DUK wont take children on pumps on some
of their holidays anymore.  There are some holidays locations where they will
take pumpers in the north of the country.

Jackie

>  It is a shame that some of you have stories like this because there
> are places
> in the uk that do not discriminate against pumping children. I am an outdoor
> education teacher working in a centre in south Wales I use a pump have been
 > diabetic for 30 years and have just worked on a weekend run by the royal
gwent
> hospital with 32 diabetic children aged 7 to 11 we took them
> climbing, canoeing
> on white water, gorge walking, mountain biking. All very well organised hypos
> galore but all managed 4 kids wearing pumps as well as myself. I also
> regularly
> have individual kids coming away with their schools from London to my centre
> with diabetes and are not stopped in any way by the school or
> ourselves, indeed
> the couple of cases I have heard about kids no able to come are because the
> parents will not allow the kids the freedom to experience a
> residential trip. I
> know it varies from school to school but we must allow kids to take
> risks and to
> manage themselves away from home if they are going to live life to
> the fulll. As
> diabetics I feel that we must push for good practise and the
> opertunity for kids
> to be allowed these trips.
> Neil
> Sent from my BlackBerry. wireless device

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080614-0, 14/06/2008
Tested on: 14/06/2008 11:47:27