RE: [IPk] Summer Camps

I wish there were more of you around Neil!  I had to go on a residential
school trip earlier this year up to Norfolk with my diabetic daughter on a
pump otherwise she was not allowed to attend the trip as it was too risky.
The staff were not prepared to take the nighttime responsibility.  The centre
itself seemed capable but it was the school staff that were the problem. In
fact I believe the centre were so good they did not even charge the school for
my place!

Fiona> To: email @ redacted> Subject: Re: [IPk] Summer Camps> From:
email @ redacted> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 08:04:50 +0000> > Insulin
Pumpers is made possible by your tax deductible contributions.> Your donation
of $10, $25, or more... just $1 or $2 per month is > needed so that Insulin
Pumpers can continue to serve you and the rest> of the diabetes community.
Please visit:> > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml> > Your annual
contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail> > It is a shame
that some of you have stories like this because there are places> in the uk
that do not discriminate against pumping children. I am an outdoor> education
teacher working in a centre in south Wales I use a pump have been> diabetic
for 30 years and have just worked on a weekend run by the royal gwent>
hospital with 32 diabetic children aged 7 to 11 we took them climbing,
canoeing> on white water, gorge walking, mountain biking. All very well
organised hypos> galore but all managed 4 kids wearing pumps as well as
myself. I also regularly> have individual kids coming away with their schools
from London to my centre> with diabetes and are not stopped in any way by the
school or ourselves, indeed> the couple of cases I have heard about kids no
able to come are because the> parents will not allow the kids the freedom to
experience a residential trip. I> know it varies from school to school but we
must allow kids to take risks and to> manage themselves away from home if they
are going to live life to the fulll. As> diabetics I feel that we must push
for good practise and the opertunity for kids> to be allowed these trips.>
Neil> Sent from my BlackBerry. wireless device> > -----Original Message----->
From: "Jackie Jacombs" <email @ redacted>> > Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008
23:39:35 > To: <email @ redacted>> Subject: RE: [IPk] Summer Camps> >
Hi Angie> > > Hmm somehow I dont see it happening here in the UK!! Too many
health and> safety> regulations, they probably couldn't get insurance...... If
these camps hadn't> started up all those years ago, they may well have not
been allowed today! All> the worries about litigation. However this is said
partly tongue in cheek. I> am not sure why summer camps are so popular in the
US when there are hardly any> in the UK and those have only been around a
while. Perhaps those US parents> could suggest why this is.> > Its bad enough
trying to get schools to take kids away, even when the parents> offer to come
along. I was out with my local diabetes group last night and one> mother has
an 8 year old son whose diabetes is quite difficult to manage at> times and
the school do not handle it very well at all and there have been some> very
nasty incidents. So when a PGL holiday came up and was going to be 3> hours
(at least) drive away from where the parents live, they asked if one of> them
could be a carer on holiday. Would just have to sleep in a room nearby to>
check at night which the school wont do. Or even stay somewhere just nearby.>
Anyway the school told them that PGL will not allow parents on the holidays.>
Earlier this year I phoned PGL to check for myself as I thought it didn't
sound> right. They confirmed that it was the school who allocated the places
for> adults and it was entirely up to them to say who was coming. Nothing to
do> with> PGL........................... Adults in the UK do not like taking
risks or> putting themselves out for children!!> The boy is now not going on
the school trip as the parents do not trust the> school as it is with them
living fairly close to the school.> As you know many children still face being
excluded from school trips. Sorry> for the rant...............once I get
started...> > > I am sure that there are probably one or two UK summer
schools/camps for> children with different types of medical conditions but I
would think that> diabetes is one of the most difficult to deal with. All
those active kids, not> confined to wheel chairs, or feeling unwell, but still
requiring complex> management of their condition. Quite difficult with the
medication having to> be> altered on a daily basic according to exercise and
food intake. I take my hat> off to those camps in the US who manage these
camps so well. I always here> great reports from the US parents about their
kids experience.> > Jackie> > > >> > Hi Jackie> >> > Sasha is very welcome to
tag along! Somehow however, I think she would be> > having too much fun
herself to be worrying about Alice!> >> > So who is gonna start one of these 3
week long, fantastic, purpose built,> > hospital on site, choice of 40 daily
activities, personalised meal plans,> > camps in the UK then?> >> > Angie> >
xx> >> >> > ----- Original Message -----> > From: "Jackie Jacombs"
<email @ redacted>> > To: <email @ redacted>> > Sent:
Friday, June 13, 2008 9:12 PM> > Subject: RE: [IPk] Summer Camps> > >> > > Hi
Angie> > >> > > You dont want to take along a spare 14 year old to help look
after Alice> > > eh!!> > >> > >> > > Jackie Mum of Sasha aged 14> > >> > >> Hi
Karen> > >>> > >> Thank you SO much for your glowing recommendation - we have
been thinking> > >> about doing this for a while, and your comments may be
what changes us> > >> from> > >> planning it to doing it! I have already read
every page of the website,> > >> and> > >> the application form - Wow!! It
looks fantastic! I just know that Alice> > >> would love every minute....> >
>> specific> > >> queries.> > >>> > >> Many thanks again> > >>> > >> Angie> >
>> Mum to Alice 5> > >>> > >> contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org> > >> > > --->
> > avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.> > > Virus Database (VPS):
080613-0, 13/06/2008> > > Tested on: 13/06/2008 21:12:41> > > avast! -
copyright (c) 1988-2008 ALWIL Software.> > > http://www.avast.com> > > .> > .>
> ---> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.> Virus Database (VPS):
080613-1, 13/06/2008> Tested on: 13/06/2008 23:39:31> avast! - copyright (c)
1988-2008 ALWIL Software.> http://www.avast.com> .>