RE: [IPk] Summer Camps

Hi Angie

 Hmm somehow I dont see it happening here in the UK!! Too many health and safety
regulations, they probably couldn't get insurance......  If these camps hadn't
 started up all those years ago, they may well have not been allowed today! All
the worries about litigation.  However this is said partly tongue in cheek.   I
am not sure why summer camps are so popular in the US when there are hardly any
in the UK and those have only been around a while.   Perhaps those US parents
could suggest why this is.

Its bad enough trying to get schools to take kids away, even when the parents
offer to come along.  I was out with my local diabetes group last night and one
mother has an 8 year old son whose diabetes is quite difficult to manage at
times and the school do not handle it very well at all and there have been some
very nasty incidents.     So when a PGL holiday came up and was going to be  3
hours (at least) drive away from where the parents live, they asked if one of
them could be a carer on holiday.  Would just have to sleep in a room nearby to
check at night which the school wont do.  Or even stay somewhere just nearby.
Anyway the school told them that PGL will not allow parents on the holidays.
Earlier this year I phoned PGL to check for myself as I thought it didn't sound
right.  They confirmed that it was the school who allocated the places for
 adults and it was entirely up to them to say who was coming. Nothing to do with
PGL...........................  Adults in the UK do not like taking risks or
putting themselves out for children!!
The boy is now not going on the school trip as the parents do not trust the
school as it is with them living fairly close to the school.
As you know many children still face being excluded from school trips.  Sorry
for the rant...............once I get started...

I am sure that there are probably one or two UK summer schools/camps for
children with different types of medical conditions but I would think that
diabetes is one of the most difficult to deal with.  All those active kids, not
confined to wheel chairs, or feeling unwell,   but still requiring complex
 management of their condition. Quite difficult with the medication having to be
altered on a daily basic according to exercise and food intake.  I take my hat
off to those camps in the US who manage these camps so well.  I always here
great reports from the US parents about their kids experience.

Jackie

> Hi Jackie
>
> Sasha is very welcome to tag along! Somehow however, I think she would be
> having too much fun herself to be worrying about Alice!
>
> So who is gonna start one of these 3 week long, fantastic, purpose built,
> hospital on site, choice of 40 daily activities, personalised meal plans,
> camps in the UK then?
>
> Angie
> xx

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080613-1, 13/06/2008
Tested on: 13/06/2008 23:39:31