Re: [IPk] Sets. Pumps v Pumps. Basal for sport.

Hi Everyone,
Read many of the e-mails but unfortunately don't get much chance to reply.
Both myself and my son (age14) pump insulin.
Regarding sets, Paul is skinny and rarely gets more than 2 days out of a
set, you see blood sugars rising 3rd day. I always get 3 days out of a set.
Paul started pumping 3.5 years ago on disetronic pump, which was ok but did
have problems with adapter alert due to him knocking it alot in sport, he
then wrote it off by trapping it in car door, so we claimed on insurance and
he is on a spirit pump which was fine and I use a spirit pump. The customer
service is excellent and because Paul was first child to start pumping in
our area they actually gave all instructions etc and stayed in contact for 2
weeks every day. Unfortunately Paul has no hypo awareness at night and
because of the large amount of sports he does (plays football at academy
level which will involve him this year being taken out of school and playing
football 1 day a week along with evenings and weekends) So Paul is at this
present time trialling the medtronic pump with CGMS, he loves it it has been
more accurate then we thought it would be and he can react quicker to that
rising or falling BG and has made a huge difference to him, and he also
loves the bolus wizard, it just adds to make life abit easier for Paul, but
he is very aware that sometimes it needs to be overridden. Unfortunately at
this time the PCT are refusing funding on it.
Di its interesting that you have high basal but low bolus need, because Paul
is the other way round, and usually after sport he only boluses 60% insulin,
but he eats appox 500CHO a day otherwise he looses weight.
Karen (type 1 25yrs pumping 2yrs)
Paul (age 14 diagnosed age 4 pumping 3.5yrs)