[IPk] RE Actrapid

Liz, try this site http://www.bnf.org/bnf/ you do need to login but it is easy
to do.
This comes from
http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/html/DisplayDoc.asp?DocumentID=3513

     6.6 Special precautions for disposal and other handling

      For intravenous use, infusion systems with Actrapid at concentrations
0.05 IU/ml - 1.0 IU/ml insulin human in the following infusion fluids: 0.9%
sodium chloride, 5% dextrose and 10% dextrose inclusive 40 mmol/l potassium
chloride, using polypropylene infusion bags, are stable at room temperature
for 24 hours. Although stable over time, a certain amount of insulin will
initially be absorbed to the material of the infusion bag. Monitoring of blood
glucose is necessary during the infusion.

      Insulin preparations, which have been frozen must not be used.

      Insulin solutions should not be used if they do not appear water clear
and colourless.

      Actrapid should not be used in insulin pumps for continuous subcutaneous
insulin infusion.

      Any unused product or waste material should be disposed of in accordance
with local requirements.

      Your consultant sounds mad, it takes quite a few weeks for a pump to
prove its full worth.

      I am using bovine insulin in my pump and it works very well.

      Sue

 [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/png which had a name of
up.png]