Re: [IPk] Metformin

> Hi all
> I went to clinic yesturday and they have put me on Metformin. They
> didn't say much about it, just that I'm a little insulin resistance. I
> feel really down about it though. On a pump and tablets and only at
> the age of 17 years old. Is anyone else on these?

<snip>

Some physicians seem to think that Metformin will reduce insulin
needs in young people. What they forget is that you have maxed out
growth hormones and really do need all that insulin. My daughter af
14 used over a unit an hour for basal and 90u/day tdd. Grew 4 inches
that year. There is a slight risk from Metformin that you will not
recover as well from a catastrophic low where the liver would
normally dump glucose. Metformin tends to inhibit this activity.

Michael