[IPk] CGMS

Hi everyone,

Just to add to what's been said about Medtronic's CGMS.  It has good
points and bad (like everything I guess!).  When we had the opportunity
to buy one at the reduced price of #450 when purchased along with the 522
pump (pump was NHS funded), we jumped at the chance.  A rep from
Medtronic visited us at home and made it sound amazing - we would get
alarms for hypos/hypers, and at any point in time we would know not just
the approximate current blood glucose, but whether it was rising, falling
or stable.

My son (who is 7) wore the sensor and transmitter for 3 days a couple of
weeks ago.  It immediately became apparent that the alarm function for
hypos is nothing more than a nuisance!  The system requires several
calibration BG readings per day (from fingerpricks), but unless these are
entered at a time of stable BG's (as detected by the CGMS), the readings
it provides stay well out of synch with the true readings.  As a result,
the first night Owain wore it the alarm went off frequently (it started
at 12am, but was not loud enough to wake anyone, eventually Owain woke at
2am).  His true BG was then about 4.5, so he had a snack and went back to
sleep.  Twenty minutes later the thing went off again - evidently a rise
in blood glucose takes a lot longer to show up in the interstitial fluid
in his butt!  After repeated false alarms we turned off that feature in
order to get some sleep!

The device also kept getting a weak signal alarm, restarting itself, then
demanding a calibration reading 2 hours later (nice if in the middle of
the night!).  We had various problems with the adhesive coming off,
causing soreness, etc. (eventually stuck it down with micropore tape
strips!), and when we removed the sensor after 3 days, Owain had a cut in
his skin at the point where the transmitter and sensor join.  As he has
limited sites (only his buttocks) for pump cannulas and sensors, it would
not be possible for him to use the CGMS continuously even if we wanted
to.

On the plus side, even though the readings were not the same as the BG's,
the TRENDS were useful to see, and we have made one adjustment as a
result of this to the timing of his breakfast bolus, so it is not
entirely useless!

Jackie.