RE: [IPk] Re:Animas vs Minimed Pump and other umps

Hi Karen,
Just a quick one,  I couldnt agree with you more on all the points that you
made, I trailed the mm cgms and found it very unreliable, inconvenient and the
sticky irritation was bad for me too.  I love my Animas 1200. I didnt realise
th Dexcom was available in the UK??  When did you get this, and have you any
idea how I could get one?  Cheers, Melisa xx> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:54:38
+0100> From: email @ redacted> To: email @ redacted> Subject: [IPk]
Animas2020 is the most superior pump yet. My daughter has> pumped a Minimed
511 and 512 and then 4 years on a Cozmo. We switched to the> 2020 in March and
would never go back to either.> We were having lots of issues with the Cozmo
needed almost weekly> replacement pumps and had *over-delivery* issues..> >
*Dont go for the Minimed! *it's delivery method is seriously lacking!> It
gives insulin pulses three times an hour rather than continuous> delivery
(their website claims this better mimics the body!!!)> its* not water proof*,>
its Insulin on Board calculator is also not accurate and has to be>
overridden> MM customer care is often lacking... but> > The real problem with
the MM is the insulin cartridge, there is no leur lock> seal, so the
cartridges leak and get bubbles all the time plus the cartidges> are
notoriously hard to fill. You therefore get bad delivery problems and> sites
will fail if pumped with air.. as the insulin oxidizes. I'm wondering> if the
person who just ended up in A&E with DKA from bubbles is on a MM> pump?> >
Despite many reorts about he bubble problems MM haven't changed the design> of
the pump or cartridge at all in the last 4 years as they have been>
concentrating on developing the CMGS side of things which is also very>
inaccurate (Sarah wore one last week for some research at her clinic and she>
couldn't wait to get it off).> > Because MM doesn't use the univeral leur lock
system, you can only buy/order> MM insertion sets and reservoirs from them and
Sarah found their adhesive> to be itchy and short lasting, they started
peeling after a day. With the> Animas you can use any insetion set (well
except the MM ones).> We also looked at the Onmipod but you can't disconnect
them for sports or> anything without having to do a complete pod change and
new insulin as the> pod is all in one... I dont think they are yet available
in the UK> > The Spirit is really basic, no IOB calculator, only 0.1 basals
and delivery> and the Cozmo is better than the Spirit and MM. So that leaves
the Animas.> > *Big advantages of the 2020.*> > ** waterproof> > smallest pump
on market: neat more slimline shape.> > very robust> > very easy to fill
bubble free cartridges (but only holds 200 units)> > excellent IOB (insulin on
board) calculator- we rely on the pump for all> calculations.> > Very accurate
delivery and quick alerts for no delivery> > basals in 0.025 increments and
bolus 0.05> > Has carb counter database that you can customise with own meals
and carbs.-> takes about 500 different foods, which you customise to your own
normal> portion sizes.> > Variable target ranges throughtout day, so we target
Sarah to 7mmol at> nights and 6 during the day.> > target ranges - so can have
range set between say 5.5 and 7 rather than an> absolute numbers> > Takes a
lithium battery (supplied free by Animas) which lasts months rather> than
weeks (2 changes since Sarah started a few months back - depsite> regular
downloading)> > *Sarah likes...*> > Nice colour screen> > pump comes in pink!>
> ability customise and download tunes for alerts> > Download software
integrates with the One Touch blood machines.> > Using the same insertion sets
as the Cozmo (Comforts)> > *Much* Better Bgs since being on the 2020> Animas
are working with Dexcom and their cmgs will be integrated into the> pump next
year.> > Sarah is also on a Dexcom. Her HbA1c has dropped from 7% to 6.6% in
about 6> weeks.> > The only drawbacks with the animas are very minor; having
to do more> frequent cartridge changes, but having said that, Sarah can do one
in 2 or 3> minutes very easily. It also doesn't show the total bolus amount
broken down> between food and adjustment bolues, but this is no big deal. You
also have> to disconnect to do a battery change, but having said that you only
change> the lithium battery infrequently.> > I really think the Animas is the
best pump. Sarah wouldn't go back to the> MM or Cozmo even if you paid her!>
Hope that helps> > Karen Persov. Mum to Sarah age 11.5, diabetic 10 yrs,
hypothyroid 2 yrs -> now proudly pumping Animas2020 and monitoring with a
Dexcom and One Touch> Ultra.> .>