Re: [IPk] RE Keytones

Hi Julie
Sorry you had such a bad experience. Personally I would avoid going into
hospital until you've tried everything else.
First step in that situation is to take an injection of shortacting
insulin to get your BGs down, and drink lots of water. I wouldn't go to
hospital unless you're either vomiting as well or if you've tried to
bring your BG down and cannot.
Generally, they don't know about pumps, and will treat you for DKA but
that's about it - to be honest unless you're really in a bad way, you
can do that at home. I don't blame them for wanting to take the pump off
you when they saw your BG though - to them, there was a problem with the
pump so the solution was to remove it! I've had plenty of people think
my pump is broken if ever I have a high BG (when usually it's because
I've not taken enough insulin or got air bubbles or something!).

When I first started pumping I had problems with air bubbles and spent 2
1/2 days with a BG around 30. I kept taking correction boluses  and
nothing seemed to change much - of course I should have taken insulin by
syringe but I wanted to figure out what was happening with the pump so I
stuck with it. Eventually it became clear what was happening. My point
is, my Bg wasn't going up, I felt a little rough but not too bad, and I
was testing regularly so if at any point I felt things had got out of
control, I would have gone straight to hospital.  I've never been so
excited to see a BG of 20 as when I finally got it sorted out and my BG
came down though!!!

Anyway, moral of the story is, avoid A&E unless you really feel out of
control and can't cope on your own!
Di