[IPk] RE Keytones

Type 1  50 years

Pumping 2 = years

Hi woke up Sunday morning feeling quite ill, blood sugars wouldnt register
on machine so high, had keytones quite high.  So I decided to go to
casualties, bad move.  When I got there people where queuing out of the door
she said I would have a 2 hour wait on reception, SO I told one of the
nursing staff my symptoms and she got me straight in.

The reason my blood sugar ended up that high was the tube must have had air
in it and I didnt get any insulin all night, the doctors seemed to be
getting quite cross about the pump not having a alarm to let me know this my
pump is a Dtron plus.  The last one to deal with me didnt speak good
English and started talking about getting me back on injections as the pump
wasnt working, didnt matter how much I tried to explain what had happened.

Anyway to cut a long story short, my blood sugars started dropping quite
quickly once they had me on the actrapid, this was after being in casualties
6 hours, they then decided to admit me, which I put up a strong fight
against as I knew if the keytones had gone I would be able to sort myself
out.  But they would not listen, so I was admitted onto a ward. I once again
told them I needed some food as I had had nothing all day and my blood sugar
was now 5 and they where so busy they didnt have time to turn the drip down
or put a glucose drip up.  In the end I got so upset I discharged myself,
and they go very cross with me at this point.

All in all it was a terrible day, I had been taken in too resuscitation as
there was no cubicles in A & E.  I was in the middle of 2 people, of which
both died whilst I was there and I was on a bed in the middle of them for 20
minutes before they decided it was nice for me to see this going on and
moved me.

Anyway the point I am trying to make is how bad do your keytones have to be
before you go in hospital, I was feeling sick and quite poorly when I went
in, but I feel I made the right decision to discharge my self as I did get a
good nights sleep and I only had a trace of keytones when I left.  The nurse
kept on about I needed potassium etc.

Julie