Re: [IPk] iron transfusion

> Hi all
>
> I saw the consultant again at the hospital today and he has confirmed,
> after test results that I have Autonomic neuropathy. that is the
> reason behind my eating problems, feeling full all the time , feeling
> sick and actulay being sick most days. Weight loss of nearly four
> stone. Also he has said that my HB levels are still 8 despite being on
> iron tablets and that my ferritin and folate levels are low. Because
> of this he is arranging me to have an iron transfusion. Has anybody
> had this done?
>
> Thanks
> Deb
> .

Usually you would receive a tranfusion of "packed" red cells. They
accomplish this by processing whole blood to remove the plasma and
white blood cells. For certain patients that are immunosuppressed the
zap it with radiation too.

My aunt by marrige receives packed red monthly due to a treatable
blood cancer that does not allow her to make enough red cells.

Michael