Re: [IPk] Help with basals needed

Hi Mary

First thing is you should probably repeat the morning basal test..if
you have to abandon a basal test, you really gotta redo it to get
valid data, so say Gary Scheiner, John Walsh, etc.

Second, if you're seeing a rise from 5ish to 11ish in the period from
11 am to 1:40 pm, that probably indicates a real lack of basal. I
would try upping it by 0.1 per hour, starting from 10 am (because it
is good to start the changed rate in advance of the observed
phenomenon, so as to prevent the phenomenon occurring), going until 2
pm. If you go hypo at 3 pm from this, then you might need the higher
rate just from 10 am to 1 pm. Everyone is different so there's every
possibility that you're relatively insulin resistant later in the
morning, even into early afternoon, while many people would say they
are relatively insulin resistant until say 10 am. Just as long as you
find something that works!

If you see a less dramatic rise between 11 and 1:40 based on upping
your basal by 0.1, then try upping it by another 0.1 at a time until
it seems fixed. If you get a hypo after one of the increases of 0.1,
then you might want to try reducing it by a 0.05 increment  to
fine-tune.

Does this make sense? Speaking of Gary Scheiner, his book _Think Like
a Pancreas_ has the most detailed, clearest instructions on basal rate
testing that I have seen!

Hope this helps a bit - let us know if not.

Melissa
Type 1 15+ years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 4.5 years
PS To everyone who wants to know: I e-mailed John Walsh a few weeks
ago and have not heard back from him yet. I am sure I will see him at
the American Diabetes Association Scientific Sessions, for which I am
flying to San Francisco this Thursday (18 to 20 hour workdays Friday
through Monday, just 6 hours of work on Tuesday... but don't expect
much correspondence from me until at least the 20th!)