Re: [IPk] Just starting to pump

Karen,

I think it's normal to be nervous. Lots of generally good things are
stressful because they involve change or risk: weddings, pregnancies,
graduations, presentations, moving house, new jobs, performances, and so on.

Ten years ago when I first got a pump, it was standard protocol to stay in
hospital the first night. I knew that my healthcare team was a bit concerned
for my wellbeing in the same way that I was. These days it's nice that pump
starts are most often handled at home with advice by phone, but perhaps the
more casual approach has its liabilities too...you may feel like getting a
pump is no big deal from the perspective of your healthcare team. I think
it's fair to call getting a pump a big deal!
I often say that getting a pump can be like learning to have diabetes in a
new way.  The ground rules regarding what you do and don't do, what you do
and don't eat, when you do and don't rest or play (etc., etc.) are likely to
shift...of course you don't know exactly how or why at this moment! You will
figure it out in good time.

Inserting an infusion set for the first time brought up all the same
emotions that I felt the first time I ever injected myself using a syringe.
It was about a month before I felt confident to do an infusion set change
without someone else in the room for 'moral support'. (I was 15 so I was
hardly a child, it was just a steep learning curve.) Now I don't even think
twice about it. I was on injections for only a couple of years before being
prescribed a pump, so I can imagine that the change of lifestyle and even
approach to diabetes management may be more dramatic for you after so many
years of injections. But if you could deal with so many thousand injections
(think of all those injections over the years) you have probably got the
constitution to handle a pump, even with the learning curve. The first time
you used a mobile phone or sent an e-mail or used an ATM you probably
learned stuff too ;) .

Take care,
and take some deep breaths,

Melissa
Type 1 13 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 2.5 years