[IPk] Pregnancy and diabetes: Woman's Hour tomorrow morning discusses la...

In message <email @ redacted>, Melissa P.
Ford <email @ redacted> writes
>I should have been clearer: the foetal malnutrition thing I mentioned was
>more with regard to a hypocaloric diet. Here's what I was getting at: take
>your fit, healthy type 1 who already may eat fewer carbs than the average
>non-diabetic fit/healthy person. Then reduce the carbs further, without
>adding extra protein and fat for fear of causing excess weight gain in the
>pregnancy. Such a type 1 could wind up on a hypocaloric diet that is not
>good for her or the baby. Jovanovic would advocate a low-carb diet that
>takes into account the nutritional needs of the mother and the baby, not a
>diet that cuts out all carbs without regard to the total number of calories
>consumed. Does that make better sense?

Plus, of course, many of us get significant calories from alcohol, which
both to improve control, and to reduce risks to the child(ren) will be
eliminated/cut down (don't know current thinking).

Even someone drinking well within the recommended guidelines can be
getting 5% or so of their calories from alcohol - and people drinking
closer to the recommended weekly guideline and with a sedate lifestyle
can be having more.  The medieval diet was approximately 20% calories
from alcohol, according to one scholar - at that kind of level, cutting
out alcohol during pregnancy would have a huge effect.

Cheers,

Pat

--
Pat Reynolds