RE: [IPk] DAFNE courses in the UK: free foods?

Lesley wrote:

> This is probably a "YMMV" but I do have to count polyols.  Atkins-type
> foods which give a total carb and a "net" carb value are a real
> wind-up - I found I had to bolus for the total carb, which was
> inevitably not far off the un-Atkins version of the same food!

I have very mixed feelings about Atkins foods, because I think their
low-carb values are actually a marketing scam, for the reason that Lesley
points out above. Yes, I know not everyone will need to count the full value
of an Atkins product as Lesley does! But I think they are a way of hiding
the fact that people aren't actually eating a healthy diet. Yes, the
products are pumped full of fibre and have a lower GI, and so they're
probably better for you than a bag of crisps, but I still think it's a scam.
Will people be healthier eating them? Probably. But they'd also be healthier
eating massive salads, get the same amount of fibre or more, probably get
more micronutrients, and also have more money in their pockets.

elizabeth