Re: [IPk] Pregnancy and diabetes: Woman's Hour tomorrow morning discusses la...

Hi Abi,

I should have been clearer: the foetal malnutrition thing I mentioned was
more with regard to a hypocaloric diet. Here's what I was getting at: take
your fit, healthy type 1 who already may eat fewer carbs than the average
non-diabetic fit/healthy person. Then reduce the carbs further, without
adding extra protein and fat for fear of causing excess weight gain in the
pregnancy. Such a type 1 could wind up on a hypocaloric diet that is not
good for her or the baby. Jovanovic would advocate a low-carb diet that
takes into account the nutritional needs of the mother and the baby, not a
diet that cuts out all carbs without regard to the total number of calories
consumed. Does that make better sense?

The reasons for not putting a pregnant woman on a pump in 1996 aren't as
powerful today...in 1996 only about 30,000 Americans had insulin pumps;
today over 350,000 do. The technology has come a long way and the clinical
evidence for the achievability of an A1C below 6 has been proved. If one
could get to an A1C below 6 on Humulin R (or Actrapid) and isophane without
frequent, severe hypos, then there'd be no reason to pump at all. The
studies that Jovanovic and her colleagues have done in the past 12 years (it
can take about a year after a manuscript has been submitted to get the book
out, so the text of _The Diabetic Woman_ is not heavily influenced by the
findings of the DCCT or the advent of rapid-acting insulin analogues) have
shown that macrosomia is not a necessary fact of pregnancy in diabetes.

Here's a link to a study that Jovanovic did regarding Humalog use in
gestational DM http://tinyurl.com/nequk

I think the reason for using a small dose of isophane may not be only
because of the conventional/analogue thing. It is possible that the woman I
knew who was Jovanovic's patient and took isophane at night was taking
isophane primarily because Levemir was not available in the US at the time
that she was pregnant. Levemir was launched late in the US because of some
FDA quibbles regarding data from multiethnic studies (basically, the US FDA
wanted Novo Nordisk to prove that Levemir was all right for Asians, blacks,
Hispanics, etc., as most of the studies had been conducted on whites). I can
find out pretty easily if Jovanovic has opinions about Levemir in
pregnancy...will let you know what I find.

Melissa
PS I have not forgotten about the request for scientific opinion regarding
loss of hypo awareness and switching from animal to 'human' insulin. So far
the researchers that I have talked to have pointed me to Stephanie Amiel's
landmark study that showed that tighter control -->more frequent
hypos-->hypo unawareness. But I have also found this very interesting
article by Prof. Amiel:
http://www.highbeam.com/library/docFree.asp?DOCID=1G1:16748552